Crisis Management | UIC Emergency Management Online Certificate Program
The course exposes students to techniques and processes to develop and evaluate operational plans designed to prevent and respond to critical events. The course integrates principles from various disciplines, including: emergency planning, business continuity, disaster recovery, risk analysis, reliability, systems engineering, strategic planning, technology planning, project management, operations management and others.
Expose managers to fundamental knowledge, tools, techniques and frameworks used to make informed decisions in the EMCP field. Introduce common terminology and concepts used in the EMCP field for communicating and working with other managers and operating personnel. Present topics to students that provide a source of continued information, education and training for students to pursue in the EMCP field, depending on individual career interests.
Employ methods of setting and evaluating EMCP objectives, goals and standards. Design and evaluate strategic alternatives to mitigate the effects of critical events. Develop needs analysis and risk assessments relative to developing an EMCP plan. Understand current trends and experience and the impact of both on EMCP programs. Use evaluative tools to assess, analyze and manage various aspects of an EMCP program. Understand the process of the development of an EMCP plan. Understand the format, content and maintenance requirements for an EMCP plan. Evaluate interdependencies between public and private entities that could impact recoverability. Evaluate and procure the technology infrastructures necessary to respond to adverse events. Conceive, design and document an overall recovery strategy/plan for an organization in response to a critical event or situation.
Mid-to-upper-level professionals who aspire to become operational leaders, managers or analysts in this general area, or who plan to pursue a particular concentration within this field.
Review of online lectures, reading and multi-media materials Individual research and analysis Completion of assignments and online quizzes STUDENT ASSESSMENT: Satisfactory completion of a series of case study assignments Satisfactory completion of four quizzes Participation in online discussion
1. Basic principles of EMCP strategic planning Strategic importance of EMCP Current overview of the state of EMCP Relevant statutory directives Developing objectives and goals of EMCP Strategy development of EMCP
2. Basic principles of continuity and recovery Event response models Industry trends Redundancy Operational tolerance and availability Recovery time and point objectives Probability and reliability Event/incident metrics
3. Methods of threat assessment Threat terminology Threat characterization Exposure characterization Assessing vulnerability
4. Developing continuity requirements Balancing EMCP costs Requirements development Risk analysis Business impact analysis Stating requirements
5. Developing EMCP plans Types of plans Overview of the planning process Establishing a planning team EMCP project initiation and management Plan design and development Plan components
6. Readiness Planning Readiness elements Team preparation Communications preparation Facilities preparation Command center preparation Financial preparation
7. Response Planning Response procedure planning Types of procedures Response categories Building response procedures
8. Recovery Planning Recovery vs. response and resumption Recovery management Recovery activities Recovery sequence design Lessons learned
9. Resumption Planning Objectives Resumption Reconstitution
10. Incident Command Response and Plan Activation Needs National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command System (ICS) ICS Checklists National Fire Protection Association Standard on Disaster/Emergency Management and Business Continuity Plans (NFPA 1600) Crisis Communications ICS Leadership Training
11. EMCP Testing The purpose of testing Developing test plans Test roles and responsibilities Types of tests Test program development Evaluating test results
12. Plan Maintenance and Administration Requirements for change management Triggers for change Plan administration processes Plan document management
13. Training and Awareness Goals Interdependencies Program development Interdependency workshops Sources
14. EMCP Program Management EMCP program definition Project evaluation Program governance Program evaluation Success factors
15. Technology Planning Technology's role in EMCP Technology trends Choosing technology Building technology solutions for EMCP Technology vendor selection.